Monday 20 February 2017

Wrapping up the Berlinale


The curtain has closed on the 67th edition of the Berlinale. Now that I have actually seen all the films I had bought tickets for, I can say that it was well worth the queue.

The Other Side of Hope is indeed a great film. It shows humanity, compassion and humour and above all is well directed. So congratulations to Aki Kaurismäki - the silver bear for best director is well deserved. 

My favourite film from this Berlinale has to be The Party. This dark comedy by Sally Potter is clever, funny and the acting is brilliant. Look out for it at a cinema near you.

Finally, the documentary Beuys by Andres Veiel about the artist Joseph Beuys is interesting in the sense that it shows a lot of archive material, but the film itself is rather disappointing. Having recently seen some of Beuys's artworks at the Hamburger Bahnhof (Museum for Contemporary Art) here in Berlin, I was hoping to gain more insight from the film. Unfortunately, I left the cinema thinking that the director had missed a really good opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment